Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: omniscience problem

To: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: omniscience problem
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:49:03 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 astuckey@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quoting "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > The AI is omniscient and makes decisions based on this. This includes
> > where to build cities. However, workers, even an AI's workers, cannot
> > be
> > placed on unknown territory. This presents a problem. Sometimes the AI
> > places a city on a really great spot, but since much of it is unknown,
> > it
> > stagnates. An entire AI nation can grind to a halt this way.
> >
> > One obvious solution is to allow the AI to place workers on unknown
> > tiles.
>
> Another obvious solution is to increase the exploration want for tiles
> within a city radius.

This was in some of the versions of the explorer code but was a bit
slow, so it was left out...  Caching the relevant info should be quite
easy though.  aidata?

Another problem is that units never go purposefully for exploration, it
is always a fallback...

> > I am tempted to go for a more radical solution. Now that we have /away,
> > we
> > can reveal the entire map for omniscient AIs. This way those of us who
> > watch AIs, can see what AIs see, which is very useful.
>
> That would be a great debugging tool anyway.

True.

Can we make it separately, please?  A server command, taking name of a
player and executing map_know_and_see_all on him?  Possibly only if DEBUG
is defined?