Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: January 1999:
Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Work Distribution

To: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <ehs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Work Distribution
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:32:15 -0600

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 09:37:21AM +0100, Esben Haabendal Soerensen wrote:

> > I am sorry, but I really don't think design-by-email is going to work very
> > well. If you think the present design can be made better, then go ahead
> > and suggest a better design by example. I've seen to many examples of
> > failed design-by-email to believe it can work.
>
> Well I did start on doing this.  But a design framework should not just be
> a patch to some badly designed code (no offence!).  So I started all

No, I know it's badly-designed :-)

> over, started on the framework from scratch.  But even with the tiny
> amount of code that existed (exists) there were no interest in just
> accepting new code.  It had to be patches to the existing code.

Well, you may have misinterpreted things.  There's plenty interest in new
code, but in the form the sample was in, it was clear it had a better design
but not immediately clear for me (I was the only other one working on it at
the time) to understand how to salvage what existing code could be into
there, or just where to rewrite.  I was just learning Java at the time (as
you can tell from the existing code <g>); perhaps now I'd have better
luck...

> If this is how we will do things now, I will not like it when much
> more code exists.  If you cannot things you don't like away, you will
> not be able to make things much better.

Not quite sure I parsed that paragraph :-)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org