Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: January 1999:
Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Work Distribution

To: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Work Distribution
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:18:51 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:
> That's absolutely right. There has to be a big design phase ( UML
> for structures, GUI-planning, third-party source evaluation), before
> we begin with coding.

I am sorry, but I really don't think design-by-email is going to work very
well. If you think the present design can be made better, then go ahead
and suggest a better design by example. I've seen to many examples of
failed design-by-email to believe it can work.

> Esp. well known design patterns should be used, to ease reuse and help
> other 'join' the coding phase. (eg.: factory-pattern for units and
> maptiles, singleton-pattern for general options, etc...)

On the other hand, such design patterns may actually make the code more
complicated and therefore harder to understand :)

> We could use 'dia' for UML.

...and what does that mean in plain English?

> Without CVS, we have no chance at all.

Not to generalise, but in this case, I agree fully.

Yours,
Per