Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: January 1999:
Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Dia / UML

To: Sebastian Fischmeister <sfischme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Dia / UML
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:25:05 -0600

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 02:14:47PM +0100, Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:

> If someone wants to do anything before we have a framework he can
> build some GUIs and play with them. I can recommend the
> NetBeans-Development Tool (free for non-commecial use):
> http://www.netbeans.com. Then just do a screenshot and send it to the
> list for further discussion.

Several important considerations here:

 1. Does it generate JFC/Swing code?

 2. Is the generated code readable and maintainable without using
    such a GUI tool?

 3. Is the code "good" code?  Ie, does it use gridbag layouts instead
    of putting things at particular pixel points?

 4. Is it written in pure Java code?

 5. Is the generated code completely unencumbered?  (Meaning, can
    it be released under a GPL license.)  A hint here is just
    what they mean by non-commercial use; different vendors have
    different takes on it.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org