Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: January 1999:
Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Work Distribution

To: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FreeCiv-Java] Work Distribution
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:27:56 -0600

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 09:18:51AM +0100, Per Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:
> > That's absolutely right. There has to be a big design phase ( UML
> > for structures, GUI-planning, third-party source evaluation), before
> > we begin with coding.
>
> I am sorry, but I really don't think design-by-email is going to work very
> well. If you think the present design can be made better, then go ahead
> and suggest a better design by example. I've seen to many examples of
> failed design-by-email to believe it can work.

I agree with that.  You said it better than I did, though :-)

What I was *trying* to say, and what you managed to say, is that code is the
best illustrator of design of all.  That's why I say code has to come first.
The current code shows bad design.  Esben's sample demonstrated good design.

> Not to generalise, but in this case, I agree fully.

I disagree, but since I lost that argument, it's here anyway :-)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org