Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9589) Government rebalancing

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9589) Government rebalancing
From: "Ciaran Mac Lochlainn" <ciaran17@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:15:57 -0700

andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Maybe another way of rebalancing governments, and also combating ICS
(PR#4539) would be to increase Corruption and/or Waste in Republics with
more than a certain number of cities.  That would be "more realistic" as
ancient states such as Rome did not remain republics when they expanded
too much.

Am I right in thinking that FreeCiv doesn't have PayCiv's Senate
involvement in diplomacy?  This would make Republic and Democracy less
powerful.

If this was implemented, the number of cities could also have the effect
of reducing the player's control over diplomacy e.g. if there are over x
cities, the Senate is y% more likely to accept a peace treaty.  This
could be modified by the 'love' our civ has for theirs.

Other possible effects:  If we are much more powerful than the other
civ, and we have Industrialisation and Theology, and the other guys
don't, and they are a Despotism or a Monarchy, the Senate will let us
invade them "for their own good"!

If we are a Democracy with over x cities, and the other civ is also a
Democracy, the Senate will tend to accept "peace with honour" i.e. with
no tribute asked or given.  This allows a nation which is losing a war
against a Democracy to become a democracy itself to stop the war.  If AI
did this too, it would be interesting...

If we are a Republic or a Democracy and we are at peace, cities in
disorder can declare independence and sometimes the Senate will
recognise their independence and make peace with them.  Ouch!

If we are a Communism and our enemy is also, the Senate (or the Supreme
Soviet) may sometimes also intervene and accept a peace treaty.