Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8754) effects patch

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8754) effects patch
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:38:09 -0700

=== Effects patch Beta V1:

* merged Per's latest AI work.
* simplified & merged effect ranges code.
* unhardwired surviving effects.
* minor API changes to accomodate the changes above.
* dropped support for operators in values. turns out it isn't
  necessary for anything and makes things slightly slower.
* misc bugfixes.

=== Complex things that should IMHO be done post commit:

* generalized sources cache (allows non-wonders with larger
  than city range, makes effect range checks faster).

=== Opinion:
This is pretty close to how I idealized the code. The only things
that I am less than happy about are the way local ranged effects
are handled (they aren't) and the crude API for doing raw
ruleset cache checks.

=== Longstanding issues:
server/cityturn.c: upgrade_building_prod still must be un-hardwired.
The improvements should have an obsolescence graph just like
the units.

client/packhand.c: uses B_PALACE and B_CITY in handle_city_short_info.

=== My current plan:
Once the longstanding issues are fixed, I consider this patch good
enough for commit.

Anyone has further suggestions for changes (minor changes please,
this patch is already large enough)?

If there are any keywords you would like to rename, better rename
them sooner rather than later.