Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8754) effects patch

To: vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8754) effects patch
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:03:41 -0700

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> B_PALACE has many strange interactions, some of which are not even
> effect related.

I agree here. Trying to cram everything into effects is just bad.

> A player can only have one B_PALACE or none at all.

Similar to wonders, although it should not be reported as such.

> B_PALACE is free for the first city you build, despite it
> having Masonry as a tech_req.

Perhaps we should have an init_buildings="" in nations ruleset, similar to
init_techs=""? Then the server option that gives you a new palace for free
if you lose it (you forgot to list this feature...), can give you any
init_buildings="" building you lose.

> To build another B_PALACE you do need Masonry, but the old B_PALACE is
> removed when you do this.

A sort of movable wonder.

> The city with a B_PALACE is called player capital and is displayed as
> such in several dialogs, like the intel dialog.

That is pretty special.

> If someone captures your capital it always destroys that B_PALACE.

This should be generalized. It is generally useful for modpacks that
others cannot take a certain building and that it is destroyed instead.

> Your spaceship is destroyed, and your empire may split into civil war.
> You cannot give your capital city away via a treaty, you cannot lose
> it via civil war (this one is weird).

These are pretty special.

> These are currently handled as effects: city spy resistance (sabotage,
> your own spy defense is boosted), bribe immunity, reduction of
> corruption and waste in city by half.

Please rename "bribe" to "incite". Bribe is for units, incite is for
cities.

> Does anyone intend to add more movement types anyway?

Yes: Amphibious movement.

> The whole pathfinding and movement code is extremely hardwired, it is
> not easy to add new movement types.

That's ok. We are not likely to add new movement types very often, and it
is not like it is going to be ruleset-configurable, either.

  - Per