[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:01:08 -0800

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:36:35PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> I've been having a hunt for fonts that we could use with the FS
> client.  There doesn't seem to be much about unfortunately, but have
> a look at these:
>
> http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2106

Without anti-aliasing this font looks bad. From 10 to 22 pixel
size. With anti-aliasing it is a bit better but not much.

> http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2265

Worse then above.

I really see that designing a font with good hinting is hard
work. Only good truetype fonts (which are then not released under GPL)
have good hinting. I think we would be better advised to search for a
bitmap font for the small sizes (10-14). These just look better at
small sizes.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx