[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:47:41 -0800

> Hi!
>
> Really nice. I have some comments:
>
> 1, I have little problems with size of fonts, i think they're too
> small in some places, especially in the lists. In "city worklist"
> and "available targets" we have really place for larger fonts. The
> title of tabs is a bit hard to read too i think because of this. I
> think the size of font in "city output" (food, production, etc)
> would be nice for almost(?) all the fonts on the page.

Sorry, I probably should have said that that font won't be the final
one used in the FS client.  I fact I believe the font will be user
definable.  I've just been using that one (Helvetica) as a guide to
lay things out.  I agree that it's too small sometimes.

Once we've found a nice freely distributable font that we can use for
a default I switch the design to that and make sure that it fits
comfortably.

Remember too that this is the smallest screensize (640x480), the font
does need to be reasonably small to fit sufficent information on
screen (though probably not quite that small).  Larger screensizes
shouldn't have this problem.

> 2, i think the background of rulers (teh 1 pixel grey-black
> changing) isn' very nice, and maybe it looks ugly on LCD displays
> (cannot try it now, just guessing). Maybe a bit more "smooth"? The
> ruler itself and the up/down arrow for it should be more similar in
> style i think, eg a bit less dithered ruler?

I'll see what I can do about this when I get back next week.

> Overall it's pretty nice job!

Thanks.

     - Morgan