[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7259) new function tile_has_river

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7259) new function tile_has_river
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:16:18 -0800

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:29:54AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Jason Short wrote:
>
> >>So we agree that we want to remove the T_RIVER terrain type?! I'm for
> >>it. Less special cases.
> >

> > Drawbacks:
> >
> > - Incompatability with civ1 tilesets.
> >
> > - Future incompatability with civ1 saved games.
> >
> > Does anyone care about this?  I suspect not.

Same here. People care more about alternative strategies to ICS.

> Hmm, and one other consideration: this may be a slippery-slope toward
> removing terrain types.

I think that removing terrain types is good.

> In civ3 forest is treated as a special.  Forest can be on top of
> hills, mountains, grasslands, plains, tundra, etc.  Removing
> T_FOREST is feasible but may invalidate civ2 tilesets (which is
> bad).  The alternative is to introduce a method for handling forests
> as either terrain or special.  But if such a thing existed it might
> as well be used for rivers as well.

I would vote for making forest a special in that case. But we would
have to add some more options to the specials then (where are they
allowed? Bonus depending on the underlaying base type, ...).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"