[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7259) new function tile_has_river

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7259) new function tile_has_river
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:36:30 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> There were a two problems with this:
>  - civ1 ruleset uses riverstyle 1, which makes mapgen produce T_RIVER
> instead of S_RIVER. This should also be changed.
>  - T_RIVER is handled different by settlers, IIRC: different rules for
> transform terrain and building roads/irrigation on it takes a different
> amount of time than on S_RIVER and plains.

After further reflection I think the only reason T_RIVER is needed is
for compatability with civ1 _tilesets_.

The same behavior can easily be duplicated with a TER_CAN_HAVE_RIVER
terrain flag.  In civ1 this flag would be given to grassland only; in
default it would be given to other terrains as well.  But a civ1 tileset
would not work with this without extensive special-casing.

jason