[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) mouse control

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) mouse control
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:40:01 -0800

On 17/01/2004, you wrote:

> Personally I like right-clicking to recenter. Click-and-drag takes
> more work.

I'd like this to be a user settable option in the Options
dialog/screen.  It would nice to have the option, personally I'd
prefer right click centering but admittedly only because my computer
probably isn't fast enough to handle dragging the map efficiently
(not without the Amiga backport being a massive rewrite anyway).

> Everything that can be done with the middle mouse button should be
> possible to do without it (with another button plus some key or
> other).

Shift click or control click are already used in this way AFAIK.

> But it's good to avoid using the keyboard so double-clicks or
> click-and-hold may be helpful here also.

Do we need to have the tile popup info at all if we have both the
right click help display AND tooltips?

My suggestion would be that all tooltips (including tile popup info,
button information, etc) are made available by leaving the mouse
static for a defined period OR by clicking the middle mouse button
(or Shift/Control click).  The right button can then be used for your
extended help popups.

But what about the right-click orders menu?

>> Currently in gtk[12] there is also an option of left-drag to goto
>> without keyboard. I don't think you can have both that and the
>> selection rectangle on the same button without using a key
>> modifier.
>
> I liked the behavior in civ3: click-and-hold to enter goto mode. The
> click-and-drag is a bit cumbersome since it is not easy to move
> units one tile in this way.

This sounds like a very good way to do this.

     -Morgan