[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:24:19 -0800

> That looks nicer. But I'm not so sure about using ordered dithering
> on the gradient. Perhaps a smooth gradient instead?

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that.  All my layouts have been
designed using the same 64 colour palette.  This for speed and
convenience while doing the layouts, and also to make sure that it
will look good on a low colour display like mine.

So because of this I used an ordered dither simply because there
weren't enough available colours for a smooth dither.  Once
everything has been finalized I convert the graphics to a high/true
colour format and a smooth dither will be possible then.

Actually I probably could have used a Floyd-Steinberg dither which
would be a better compromise for now.  I see in if I can change it in
a later version.

> I like that close button! Nice.

Thanks for the idea.  It's a massive improvement.

> The worklist scrollbars are different from the city scrollbars. Any
> reason why?

This is because I was comparing the looks of the two.  Check out
City-Worklist6.png which I just posted
(ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/City-Worklist6.png).  I've made
the switch to the black/green/yellow style and prettied it up some
more.

> The letters on the tabs are a bit hard to read. Either make the
> background darker, or try outline instead of shadow on the text.

Yes they are.  I'll fix this up once we've got a better font.

> Raimar, please use Anti-Aliased fonts always, if possible. To make
> the client really portable, we also need to distribute our own set
> of fonts, so make sure the licensing of the fonts you use allows
> re-distribution.

The graphics program I've been using for these layouts for some reason
doesn't support text anti-aliasing very well.  So to save on time and
effort I haven't been bothering to anti-alias the text.

I'll remedy this once we have a better font and a finalized layout.

> I propose we use the TrueType font format.

I think Raimar was thinking about using Freetype.

     -Morgan