[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:24:51 -0800

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:53:00PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> Raimar, please use Anti-Aliased fonts always, if possible.

I know you prefer Anti-Aliased fonts BUT they really look bad on small
font sizes. Compare
http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/screen-0007.png (no AA) with
http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/screen-0058.png (AA).

> To make the client really portable, we also need to distribute our
> own set of fonts,

Yes. Do you have any font for this. I'm really not sure if SDL's
tahoma is clean in this respect. Any fonts or font sources welcome.

> so make sure the licensing of the fonts you use allows
> re-distribution.

I currently use Verdana for my experiments.

> I propose we use the TrueType font format.

Note that the freetype library can also read .FON files. While these
are bitmapped and mostly only at a single size they look nice.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "Windows is the one true OS. MS invented the GUI. MS invented