[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:52:06 -0800

> I think Amigas are the lowend systems these days. So what
> resolutions and amount of colors supports "the" Amiga.
>
>     Raimar

An Amiga with a graphics card has displays just as good as
Windows/Linux so there's no problem there.

The AGA chipset (Amiga 1200, 4000) is really the only native chipset
good enough to run Freeciv.  And all AGA Amigas should be able to
display 640x480 without issue, though most
cannot reach 800x600 but usually run somewhere in between like
720x564.

On a native chipset Amiga the more colours there are the slower the
graphics display is.  The AGA chipset supports up to 8bit (256
colours) screens.  I prefer to run in 6bit (64 colours) for speed,
but that's me.  I don't expect you to support screen depths <8bit, as
this can be something handled by the Amiga backport if it eventuates.
 Graphics are easy to convert.

I would suggest that the FS client has support for 8bit screens and if
you guys want it 24bit (true-colour) screens.  I don't see a lot of
point with the latter considering that most of the tilesets only use
32-256 colours anyway (Trident is 32 colours, Isotrident 64).

Amigas without graphics cards can't display 24bit screens - they have
to dither them down to 256 colours and this is often slow and
sometimes ugly.

Is that everything you need to know?

     -Morgan