[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:34:23 -0800

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:40:12AM -0800, James Canete wrote:

> > > Yes. Do you have any font for this. I'm really not sure if SDL's
> > > tahoma is clean in this respect. Any fonts or font sources welcome.
> >
> > There's always Bitstream Vera...
> >
> > http://www.gnome.org/fonts/
> >
> > I have no idea how good it is for a game, though.  It always seemed a
> > little wide and oddly spaced to me.
>
> While I can't speak about the license I can show some screenshots:
> http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/vera.png
> http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/verdana.png
> http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/tahoma.png (no bold)

Perhaps XFree86 or OpenOffice have some fonts we could use? Besides the
license, one very important thing is how complete the font is. The more
parts of the Unicode BMP it covers, the more languages we can support with
that font in the client. The font should preferably cover the various
European languages (Latin, Greek and Cyrillic), CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean).

Hebrew and Arabic will probably require special themes I guess. The
languages are written right-to-left. Let the persons who decide to make a
translation bother with that. :-)

---