[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] Screen design
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:33:04 -0800

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:52:06AM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> > I think Amigas are the lowend systems these days. So what
> > resolutions and amount of colors supports "the" Amiga.
> >
> >     Raimar
>
> An Amiga with a graphics card has displays just as good as
> Windows/Linux so there's no problem there.
>
> The AGA chipset (Amiga 1200, 4000) is really the only native chipset
> good enough to run Freeciv.  And all AGA Amigas should be able to
> display 640x480 without issue, though most
> cannot reach 800x600 but usually run somewhere in between like
> 720x564.
>
> On a native chipset Amiga the more colours there are the slower the
> graphics display is.  The AGA chipset supports up to 8bit (256
> colours) screens.  I prefer to run in 6bit (64 colours) for speed,
> but that's me.  I don't expect you to support screen depths <8bit, as
> this can be something handled by the Amiga backport if it eventuates.
>  Graphics are easy to convert.
>
> I would suggest that the FS client has support for 8bit screens and if
> you guys want it 24bit (true-colour) screens.  I don't see a lot of
> point with the latter considering that most of the tilesets only use
> 32-256 colours anyway (Trident is 32 colours, Isotrident 64).
>
> Amigas without graphics cards can't display 24bit screens - they have
> to dither them down to 256 colours and this is often slow and
> sometimes ugly.

The client per se isn't tied to a screen size or screen depth. It
supports 24bit colors but the backend can map them to the nearest
color if a paletted mode is used. So this is more an issue how large
and with many colors the various images (background, button, ...) are
drawn.

So while I think 256 colors are enough I agree with Vasco that 800x600
would be nice. BUT there is nobody stopping us from supporting them
both.

So I would say we target 640x480x256 first and than think about a nice
800x600x64k theme.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Using only the operating-system that came with your computer is just