[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6966) root_req for other rulesets as well

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6966) root_req for other rulesets as well
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:46:40 -0800

On  6/12/2003, you wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 13:25, Morgan Jones wrote:
>>
>> On  5/12/2003, you wrote:

>> This seems overly complicated just to add nation/culture specific
>> units.  Surely just adding root_tech to the unit ruleset would be a
>> much simpler and more elegant solution?  I can't imagine it would
>> require too many code changes.
>>

> The rule would be int the city file, and look something like...
>
>   Special_Unit: Samurai -> Knights
>
> which just substitutes permission to build Samurai for Knights.

This another possibily I suppose but it assumes that special units and
citystyle will always correspond.  While I imagine that this would
probably be the case most of the time, IMO it lacks some of the
flexibility and simplicity of the root_tech solution.

> I however prefer the idea of wonders giving permission, it has the
> advantge of already being possible.

I think this great at the latter end of the tech tree but doesn't work
well earlier on.  There would be motivation to build a wonder to
obtain an amazingly powerful laser satellite or whatever but not to
just get Samurai instead of Knights, or Junks instead of Caravels, and
so on.

With all the shields it might take to build a wonder the player is probably
better off just building several of the next best unit.

And of course you still have to make the wonder or improvement
available only to certain nations - this just moves the issue to a
different ruleset.

> But this involves tinkering with the base rulesets - maybe adding
> new techs and wonders - which i find handled nicely with rndCiv as
> you're not after one perfect ruleset.

BTW, RndCiv looks really good.  I am eagerly awaiting gen_impr (and an update
on the MUI client)
to see it in action.

     -Morgan