[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5122) Building requirement for techs

To: remi.bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5122) Building requirement for techs
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:31:28 -0700

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, remi.bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I do not understand the usefulness of bldg_req_penalty. Please explain.
>
> Smallpox can build one improvement to get access to one tech. This
> option avoid this. (I want the Middle-Earth modpack be a Largpox game).
> This is also more realistic that cities that have never see water (don't
> have an harbour) get a penalty for researching navigation (The same
> happens for Ring Making and Forges)

I don't like it. It is a rather complex mechanic with a difficult to
explain and understand effect on the game. There are many other ways to
combat smallpox.

If something like this was to be implemented, it should be as a general
effect, anyway. This way you would make a building effect dependent on
researching a specific tech.

BTW, you can achieve somewhat the same effect that you wanted to achieve
above by making a science-increasing building that requires an adjacent
ocean tile.

  - Per