[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5076) client inconsistently shows unit stacks

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5076) client inconsistently shows unit stacks
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:28:18 -0700

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:02:41AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jason Short wrote:
> >

> >>See also PR#2053.  The most recent patch for that ticket would solve
> >>this, at the expense of showing enemy stacks as well (but a cheating
> >>client can already see these).
> >

> > What is the latest on this patch?  It's a rule change but I think we
> > agreed it should go ahead.  I certainly wouldn't want the repeat of
> > the trouble we are still having with not seeing units in enemy cities.
>
> It is a rule change...
>
> I'm in favor of making the small change now.  In the long term we should
> consider what the client _should_ be able to see and (if necessary) do
> something like we have with pcity->occupied.  Yes, we'll probably have
> lots of bugs with that too...
>
> Having the client hide information just isn't good.  I think we should
> fix this at the source and handle the fallout as it comes.

Just for the records, I'm for revealing the stack content in general, i.e.
always outside of cities. Real aspect: you can see what you attack. Clarity:
you see there is a stack but have to guess what's inside. Cheating: with a
clever client, you could record what units move on and off that tile, and
have the information anyway. Consistence: the info is sent right now, and we
can update the clients step by step to present the information comfortable.

One additional idea for realisation: make a client option, which unit of a
stack is seen on top, the strongest, quickest, hardest, whatever.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke          * * *          http://www.cknoke.de
* Please note new mail address - Neue Mailadresse beachten *