Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4468) long term questions

To: Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4468) long term questions
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:27:22 -0700

a-l@xxxxxxx wrote:
> "Horn Gábor" <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>1, generator: the most important. Random is fine, but we'd be very happy
>>if we could get balanced maps if we need. Now in serious duels we almost
>>always use referee who check if the map is fair
>>[...] I also see duel when
>>8 restart was needed to get an acceptable map.

The generators 2-4 are specifically intended to be balanced maps. 1 and 5
are designed to be challenging and more natural in appearance to reflect
a more realistic simulation with topographical features to be exploited
or worked around.

> As a player I agree very much that it'd be extremely useful with a
> 'fair map for duels' generator.
>

>>[...] as freeciv is manily an online game for humans.

I disagree, and I think the periodic statistics tend to bear me out.

> I also agree that's the strongest side of Freeciv, and the most gain
> is to be had by capitalizing this :)

I do think it is the case that the minority online gaming people should
have "fair" map generators or fairness controls, as well as the strategic
or solitaire gamers have a "natural" or "challenging" map and a good AI
opponent. Neither should assume theirs is the only important aspect.

[...]
>>So what do u think about these? Of course i know it's not your duty to
>>pay attention on these, and i say thank u for the work u have already
>>done. We enjoy much this game, but maybe together could make it even
>>better.
>

> Yeah, players should not be discouraged to post their opinions! And
> since you don't do so yourself, I should let them know that you are a
> good competitive player who knows the workings of Freeciv well.
>
> cheers,
> Arnstein

It would be a grave mistake to play one type of user off against the other
when it is not that much more difficult to provide a range of controls that
can keep everyone happy and more people playing the game.

Cheers,
RossW
=====