Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4468) long term questions

To: Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4468) long term questions
From: "a-l@xxxxxxx" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:00:14 -0700

"Horn Gábor" <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1, generator: the most important. Random is fine, but we'd be very happy
> if we could get balanced maps if we need. Now in serious duels we almost
> always use referee who check if the map is fair
> [...] I also see duel when
> 8 restart was needed to get an acceptable map.

As a player I agree very much that it'd be extremely useful with a
'fair map for duels' generator.

> [...] as freeciv is manily an online game for humans.

I also agree that's the strongest side of Freeciv, and the most gain
is to be had by capitalizing this :)

> 5: too powerful diplo. [...]

I think Per and Thomas's ideas are appropriate. Separate defending
diplomats' strength from general "diplchance". Give defending dip the
upper hand.

> 6: this just came to my mind: as i see almost all better players suffer
> from gangbanging.

Now that's a social issue.. or was it moral?

> So what do u think about these? Of course i know it's not your duty to
> pay attention on these, and i say thank u for the work u have already
> done. We enjoy much this game, but maybe together could make it even
> better.

Yeah, players should not be discouraged to post their opinions! And
since you don't do so yourself, I should let them know that you are a
good competitive player who knows the workings of Freeciv well.

cheers,
Arnstein