Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Limiting diplomacy was: (PR#4468) long term questions

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Limiting diplomacy was: (PR#4468) long term questions
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:08:47 +0200

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:43:31PM -0700, Horn Gábor wrote:

[Let's discuss this on Freeciv-Dev, are you on that list?]

> 5: too powerful diplo. This is hard to explain and as  i know pille
> wrote some idea about it. diplchance itself is not enough, as w/ low
> diplchance we cannot use diplos for liberate, which is not a goal imho.
>
> 6: this just came to my mind: as i see almost all better players suffer
> from gangbanging. It means when there's a good ranked player in a game,
> others ally againts him from the very begining, using tech exchange,
> shared vision, city giving etc. So the dude has to fight againts 5 times
> prod, and no matter how he playes he gets vanished. This is frustrating
> too.

I also believe diplomacy too powerful. How can diplchance be improved?

What I find really boring is the massive tech exchange of alliances. Here we
have techpenalty, diplcost, conquercost, and freecost. Does anybody use it?
Is it effective?

May be an auto-increasing diplcost?

A better way to set options in pregame might encourage people to use them.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/