Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Limiting diplomacy was: (PR#4468) long term questions

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Limiting diplomacy was: (PR#4468) long term questions
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:02:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > 5: too powerful diplo. This is hard to explain and asi know pille
> > wrote some idea about it. diplchance itself is not enough, as w/ low
> > diplchance we cannot use diplos for liberate, which is not a goal imho.

IMHO, defending diplomats should be made more powerful. As it is, they are
usually massacred by attacking diplomats.

> > 6: this just came to my mind: as i see almost all better players suffer
> > from gangbanging. It means when there's a good ranked player in a game,
> > others ally againts him from the very begining, using tech exchange,
> > shared vision, city giving etc. So the dude has to fight againts 5 times
> > prod, and no matter how he playes he gets vanished. This is frustrating
> > too.

Do the remaining players go for allied victory, or do they duke it out
between themselves once the best player is gone? If it is the latter, we
could penalise final score if you break alliances. If it is the former, we
could share points between the allies.

> I also believe diplomacy too powerful. How can diplchance be improved?

I don't understand what diplchance has to do with diplomacy?

> What I find really boring is the massive tech exchange of alliances. Here we
> have techpenalty, diplcost, conquercost, and freecost. Does anybody use it?
> Is it effective?
>
> May be an auto-increasing diplcost?

How about an option to turn off totally the possibility of exchanging
techs by any means, for those kind of games?

  - Per