Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Limiting diplomacy was: (PR#4468) long term questions

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Limiting diplomacy was: (PR#4468) long term questions
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:26:28 +0200

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:08:47AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:43:31PM -0700, Horn Gábor wrote:
>
> [Let's discuss this on Freeciv-Dev, are you on that list?]
>
> > 5: too powerful diplo. This is hard to explain and as  i know pille
> > wrote some idea about it. diplchance itself is not enough, as w/ low
> > diplchance we cannot use diplos for liberate, which is not a goal imho.
> >
> > 6: this just came to my mind: as i see almost all better players suffer
> > from gangbanging. It means when there's a good ranked player in a game,
> > others ally againts him from the very begining, using tech exchange,
> > shared vision, city giving etc. So the dude has to fight againts 5 times
> > prod, and no matter how he playes he gets vanished. This is frustrating
> > too.
>
> I also believe diplomacy too powerful. How can diplchance be improved?

My suggestions were

- changed calculation of incite cost
- another handling of defending diplomats
    When you have a stack of 10 defending diplomats the attacking
diplomat has to "kill" every defending diplomat (losing MP every attack)

> What I find really boring is the massive tech exchange of alliances. Here we
> have techpenalty, diplcost, conquercost, and freecost. Does anybody use it?
> Is it effective?

It's not effective in the current way, think about one develops
Physics and one Invention, after that both exchange it and research
steam engine. 1 exchanged tech 5-7 techs you didn't need to research ->
you lose 140 points by techpenalty and safe 600 points because you
didn't have to research the other techs.
And you have to set all penalties because in an gangbanging ally people
wouldn't stop to invade their cities to exchange the techs.

It's possible to reduce that effect when you have to exchange all techs
in the techtree which are needed for the tech you want to exchange.

> May be an auto-increasing diplcost?

Hmm, nobody wanted my auto-increasing settlercost against small-pox ...

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.