Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4559) citymap iterators are misnamed

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4559) citymap iterators are misnamed
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:16:18 -0700

--On Sunday, July 13, 2003 21:04:42 -0700 "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
<rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jason Short wrote:

>> city_map_checked_iterate(x0, y0, cx, cy, mx, my)
>>
>>   What does "checked" mean?  Basically nothing.

> City_map coordinates have fixed boundaries, they are a 5x5 grid with
> the corners missing. Only when you introduce map coordinates into a
> city_map iteration do you get the *extra* concept of an invalid
> coordinate that must be checked, and only for some types of map
> topologies.

But this use of the term "checked" isn't used anywhere else except in this
macro.  Other developers have tried to use it elsewhere meaning different
things.  What you're talking about is normalization (including filtering).
The term 'checked' has no well-defined meaning.

> Removal of map_city_radius_iterate is long overdue.

It is used in 25 places.  I don't think it's justified to remove it (to use
city_map_checked iterate with extra, unused variables in its place) just
because it has a bad name...

jason