Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4326) Pathfinding

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4326) Pathfinding
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 02:31:53 -0700

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:03:27AM -0700, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 02:36:36PM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > You didn't.
> > >
> > > Ex.1 (settler)
> > >   way 1: street - street - grassland
> > >     33%: 1 move
> > >     67%: 2 moves
> > >   way 2: mountains - grassland
> > >     100%: 2 moves
> > >
> > > --> should choose way 1, actually chooses way 2
> >
> > See the attached savegame. With TB_BEST_TIME the way 2 is choosen.
> >
> > > Ex.2 (diplomat)
> > >   way 1: mountains - grassland - forest - grassland
> > >     50%: 3 moves
> > >     50%: 4 moves
> > >   way 2: hills - forest - grassland - grassland
> > >     100%: 3 moves
> > >
> > > --> should choose way 2, actually chooses way 1 (tested with TB_BEST_TIME,
> > >                                                  whatever that means)
> > >
> > > The task of GOTO is: Get there as quick as possible.
>
> I ratyher suspect that what Chris wants is not possible to implement.

Christian: do you want this done per step or for the whole path. In
the latter case how these paths compared? Example:
 path 1:
   10% 4 turns
   10% 5 turns
   80% 6 turns

 path 2:
   20% 4 turns
   60% 5 turns
   20% 6 turns

> But it seems it could be approximated by
> (a) using TM_BEST_TIME normally
> (b) using the time from TM_WORST_TIME for tie-breaking.

This seems like a good solution.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Last year, out in California, at a PC users group, there was a demo of