Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4326) Pathfinding

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4326) Pathfinding
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 04:37:00 -0700

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > But it seems it could be approximated by
> > (a) using TM_BEST_TIME normally
> > (b) using the time from TM_WORST_TIME for tie-breaking.
>
> This seems like a good solution.

But still not what Christian wants.  For example,
-------------
  path 1:
    10% 4 turns
    10% 5 turns
    80% 6 turns

  (true) average time 5.7
  best time 4
  worst time 6

------------
  path 2:
    100% 5 turns

  time 5

------------

A more practical example of the above is (R-road, G-grass, foot soldier
moving)
1.  RRGRRGRRGRRG
  (true) average time 6.66666
  best time 4
  worst time 8
  capped time (old warmap mode) 5.33333

2.  GGGGG
  time 5

Unfortunately, I really don't see a way of computing the real average time
in PF.

Ditch the randomness seems the only way.

G.