[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2370) Path finding

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2370) Path finding
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:03:39 +0100

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:01:12PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > I really don't want that core PF module get the kitchen sink for all
> > > possible (ab)uses. I will not allow it to be cluttered like the old
> > > warmap which mixed the algorithm with the users of this.
> >
> > So you don't want to create code that is adapted to usage?
> >
> > Overlapping into ocean/land is needed for
> >   - diplomat bribe
> >   - unloading passengers (to land)
> >   - boarding ferry (to ocean)
> >   - artillery (PR#2292)
> >   - sea units attacking land targets
> >
> > I do not want to kludge all these in the iterator macro just because you
> > have some silly notion of "purity of code".
>
> This is a non-issue.  I was writing path-finding with these tasks in mind
> and tried hard to gear it towards such tasks.  This is why I was clinging
> to move-cost call-backs in our long negotiations with Raimar.  It would be
> much better to have such call-backs supplied from outside pf-module, but
> Raimar was so vehemently opposed to it, that I agreed to restrict them to
> pf-module.  But on the condituon/understanding that more call-backs could
> be added to serve AIs needs.  If Raimar didn't care to read what I wrote
> about these needs, it's not a valid excuse to stop PF from functioning on
> full-power now.
>
> You, Per, should have participated in the discussion too, maybe Raimar
> would believe you more than me.

The alternative would be what I suggested in

http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx/2002/09/msg00046.html.gz

You found it nice:

http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx/2002/09/msg00047.html.gz

So while this give more flexibility I don't see that this is
faster. You can't inline these functions.

This is btw also a flaw in the recent pf*.diff: the use of callbacks
for the BMC. _IIRC_ you said that this is an error and you want to fix
it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.