[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Post release patches

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Post release patches
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:19:09 +0100

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 08:11:17PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 06:22:31PM +0100, Ben Webb wrote:
> >     Indeed... but the helptexts can be out of date, or just plain
> > misleading, or you can forget what they say... and sometimes it can be
> > tricky to figure out where all of your city's gold production (for example)
> > comes from, particularly if your government or nation type also has an
> > effect. I'm thinking of something similar to the existing happiness display,
> > which makes it quite clear when you have active happiness Wonders, even
> > if they're in other cities.
>
> Yes this idea is nice. So we have a list of improvements, wonders and
> techs (TF_POPULATION_POLLUTION_INC for pollution) which show how
> production, science, ... and pollution are modified?!

        That's the idea. The client already has this information (well, with
impr-gen it does, anyway) so the only real complication is how to
present it to the user. Also add governments and nations to this list...
at least in SMAC, both can affect production and science.

> >     Ah. This sounds more difficult, so I'm not going to volunteer for
> > it right now. ;) Sounds like this is something that AIs and agents would
> > have to do anyway though, so presumably lots of code could be shared...
>
> It really is easy:
>  make a copy if the city
>  add the improvement
>  update_effects
>  refresh_city
>  compare city against backup and write down the changes
>  revert to the backup
>  update_effects
>  refresh_city

        Yes, I've seen this sequence before; it seems the most
straightforward way of doing this. It could be rather CPU-intensive
though, depending on how often you do through the cycle. I'm pretty sure
that the impr-gen effect update functions would require a bit of
optimisation to cope with this, anyway. ;)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"The Right Hon was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been