[Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound (PR#1607)

To: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound (PR#1607)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:26:23 +0200

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:50:26AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 07:24:35PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:08:23AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> > >   Well, here's a patch to current CVS. On systems with the dlopen
> > > function and the gcc compiler, the various audio modules are not linked
> > > in to the client binary, but are built as dynamic libraries (plugins).
> >
> > All very nice
>
> Well, thanks. ;)
>
> > BUT this solves a problem which IMHO doesn't exists. There are no problems
> > for individual installations and also distributions don't have a problem.
>
>       Yes, that's what you said before. And I'll say the same thing that I
> said before: I don't have SDL installed on my system, and have no
> intention of installing it just so that I can install a Freeciv RPM.
> Static linking forces people to install a load of junk that they
> don't really want, or to build from source.

I just take my Redhat 7.0 system as an example: 162 applications are
linked against libesd and 9 against libSDL/libSDL_mixer. So if would
want to install a freeciv RPM on this system you would have to have
esound. But you already have this installed because otherwise you
would not have gnome-games, mpg123, sawfish, gnucash, enlightenment,
gnunumeric, xchat or gaim. (interestingly also memprof, SDL_mixer,
gtop, glade, gdk-pixbuf-gnome and gnorpm require libesd.so.0)

> The only other option is for the distributed RPM to link only to
> ESD, and ignore the SDL plugin, which would be a shame.

Both play sound. If ESD gets the job why should I want SDL?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I was dead ... but I'm better now."