[Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound (PR#1607)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound (PR#1607)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:03:14PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> > > Seems like a lot of work for very little gain.
> >
> > True, but the work is fun...
> >
> > If anyone _likes_ the idea, I can make a patch. I won't bother otherwise
> > though. ;)
>
> I like the idea, but I really dislike libtool. Is there any way to avoid
> libtool hell?

        Well, here's a patch to current CVS. On systems with the dlopen
function and the gcc compiler, the various audio modules are not linked
in to the client binary, but are built as dynamic libraries (plugins).
This behaviour can be disabled via. the --disable-plugins configure
option, in which case the modules are linked in as per normal. It
doesn't use libtool (that's why the dynamic loader support is restricted
to gcc+dlopen systems) so doesn't interfere too much with the standard
build process. (This does also mean that Makefile.am is a bit ugly...)

Comments?

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."