[Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound (PR#1607)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound (PR#1607)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:50:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 07:24:35PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:08:23AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> >     Well, here's a patch to current CVS. On systems with the dlopen
> > function and the gcc compiler, the various audio modules are not linked
> > in to the client binary, but are built as dynamic libraries (plugins).
>
> All very nice

Well, thanks. ;)

> BUT this solves a problem which IMHO doesn't exists. There are no problems
> for individual installations and also distributions don't have a problem.

        Yes, that's what you said before. And I'll say the same thing that I
said before: I don't have SDL installed on my system, and have no
intention of installing it just so that I can install a Freeciv RPM.
Static linking forces people to install a load of junk that they
don't really want, or to build from source. The only other option is for
the distributed RPM to link only to ESD, and ignore the SDL plugin, which
would be a shame.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Never was a cornflake girl / Thought that was a good solution"