[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>, dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx, raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:40:20 +0200

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 02:03:44PM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> scripsit Richard Stallman:
> >     BTW, this is not the only weird flip in the freeciv tech tree.  Map
> > making
> >     and Seafaring seem sort of backwards, as do alphabet and writing.  But,
> >     then, much of the tree is misnamed -- leadership, conscription and
> > tactics
> >     are all ancient.
> >
> > I think it would be a very good thing to straighten this out.
> >
> > Note that it may be possible to correct some problems simply by
> > writing precise definitions for what these tech levels mean, avoiding
> > the need for any actual change in the tech tree.  Some kinds of
> > tactics existed in the ancien world, but maybe it refers to a specific
> > advance in tactics, such as the ability to give units new orders
> > during battle.
>
> I suspect that Marius would have been extremely offended at the
> suggestion that he was ignorant of tactics ;)
>
> Does the will exist within the Freeciv community to do a
> from-the-ground-up review of the tech tree?  The more I think about it,
> the more excited I am about the possibilities.  However, I think most
> everyone who has really studied it will agree that the tech tree's
> relationship to any historical reality is at times rather tenuous.
>
> If the community would embrace such a project, I would surely be game.
> As a future teacher of history, I am intrigued by the idea of a Freeciv
> which could be useful pedagogically as well as for entertainment.

Technically the tech tree is very flexible and so you just have to
modify one text file (techs.ruleset) and the tech_req and obsolete_by
fields in the unit and building ruleset. So you can expect that there
are no obstacles from the code (unlike if you would for example like
to remodel the building ruleset).

If this new tech tree becomes the default one depends also if it is
playable. Not only the historical accuracy is important.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Windows: From the people who brought you edlin...