[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:13:09 -0600 (MDT)

    Is ``realistic'' modelling of technology and combat (e.g., something
    like Trevor Dupuy's Operational Lethality Index and Quantified Judgement
    Model) really something Freeciv wants to get into?

Freeciv does not try to model tactics, and that is ok.  It does not
try to model specific resources, and that is ok too.  I think it would
be far too complex to be an enjoyable game if it modeled all that.
However, it does model technology, so the technology model ought to be
accurate as far as it goes.

One of the things people might hope for from such a game is to teach
children an idea of the history of technology and its relationship to
economic development and war.  It inevitable, and ok, to omit many
things, but it can certainly avoid teaching them anything wrong.

Which reminds me--democracy was invented in ancient times, and I don't
know if either banking or invention (whatever that stands for) existed
then.  Also, a republic (in the Civilization sense) is more complex
than a democracy, and I think they came later.