[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 01:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:51:27PM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> > You mention the problem of building destroyers or cruisers without
> > steel; what about the very real problem of trying to build a
> > pre-ironclad fleet without trees?  Historically, access to extensive
> > forests was a prerequisite to building a fleet, but Freeciv has no
> > mechanism for representing dependencies on specific terrain or
> > resources, and I'm not certain that adding such things would be
> > advisable.
>
>       Advisable or not, I think Civ3 does this.

Freeciv does also. Freeciv uses spec_gate, and terr_gate, in the buildings
ruleset(Offshore platform). This permits the building of Offshore platforms
only when sea terrain is in the city radius.

It would be trivial to extend this to cover units.ruleset. Assuming the AC
gen-impr patch ever makes it to CVS, and I finally get my Civ 3 CD, I will
probaby do it.

Aloha,
RK.

From "Fuck the Creationists" McHawking

The cosmos is expanding every second, every day,
but their minds are shrinking as they close their eyes and pray.
They call their bullshit science like the word could give them cred,
if them bitches be scientists then cap me in the head.