[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 06:52:16 -0700

scripsit Raahul Kumar:

> --- Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:51:27PM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> > > You mention the problem of building destroyers or cruisers without
> > > steel; what about the very real problem of trying to build a
> > > pre-ironclad fleet without trees?  Historically, access to extensive
> > > forests was a prerequisite to building a fleet, but Freeciv has no
> > > mechanism for representing dependencies on specific terrain or
> > > resources, and I'm not certain that adding such things would be
> > > advisable.
> >
> >     Advisable or not, I think Civ3 does this.
>
> Freeciv does also. Freeciv uses spec_gate, and terr_gate, in the buildings
> ruleset(Offshore platform). This permits the building of Offshore platforms
> only when sea terrain is in the city radius.
>
> It would be trivial to extend this to cover units.ruleset. Assuming the AC
> gen-impr patch ever makes it to CVS, and I finally get my Civ 3 CD, I will
> probaby do it.

The issue, IMHO, is not whether it is technically feasible, but at what
point to stop pursuing more `realism'.  There are many strategic
resources we don't track:  rubber, uranium, manganese.  For goodness'
sake, we don't worry about oil even.  There's nothing to prevent me from
building a hundred each of Armor, Battleships, and Stealth Bombers,
without having a drop of petroleum to run them on.  Imagine how the game
would be unbalanced, though, if we were to require (for example) one Oil
resource for every twenty oil-dependent units.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul