Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Sound8

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Sound8
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:41:31 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> Please test and review.

What is the conceptual difference between an e_event and an E_event ("a
subset of normal events" as the README says)? I don't see that.

Other than that, the changes look great. There are some excess sounds in
stdsounds.tar.gz, I've noted. When you place wavs into cvs please be
careful to not add any wavs that are unused.

Here is a new version of the patch. I've been unable to find any reason
for the delay bug that you found with the sdl plugin, Raimar, but it would
be nice to hear if the cacheing stuff reduces this delay for you.

CHANGES
 - updated to current cvs
 - reduced verbosity of logging a bit, and changed non-fatal LOG_FATALs
   into LOG_ERRORs
 - changed MAX_NUMBER_PLUGINS to an enum
 - swapped esd for sdl as preferred sound out
 - made esd actually use the cacheing for cacheing (massively reducing
   the number of file reads)
 - rewrote the sdl code. now it also caches, and uses a separate music
   channel. fixed a bug that would happen if we got too few channels
   available
 - civ2sounds.spec updated
 - emptied b_generic in stdsounds.spec; it was given the same sound
   as the end of turn bell and would not have been audible, and
   sounds for buildings is probably not a good idea anyway...

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli