[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO]

To: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO] (PR#1215)
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:26:12 -0500

Daniel Sjölie wrote:

On 2002-01-14 22:32:57, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

- the client attempts to connect to server immediately, and gives error
message (confusing). you need to find the "start game" button to start
the game (bad design). IMHO it should loop and try discretely to
start the server until it succeeds or times out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but connecting to a server and starting the game are not the same thing. Normally you would (1) start a server (2) connect to it (3) set any options and (4) start the game. The connection dialog aims at eliminating (1), (2), and part of (3), but not (4).

If we did auto-start after connecting, the code would generally be of no use in other cases - that is, we couldn't use it to control multiplayer servers, since we would have no handling of the pre-start case.

Well, it might be a good idea to include a choice between multiplayer
and singleplayer somewhere (probably in (3)), start the server at once
if singleplayer is selected and display something like a dialog with
"Waiting for players" and a "Start game" button...

Hmm, yes. If a "start game immediately" checkbox is added to the autostart ("new game") dialog, it would be easier for new players to figure out.

Note you need to wait to start the game not just in a multiplayer game but in any game in which you wish to change the server options.

jason