[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO]

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO] (PR#1215)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:32:57 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Here's a patch that I've created with "cvs diff" from the tarball Daniel
> sent.  It should be identical in effect.  (It'll also store the patch
> more permanently than the FTP server, which appears to be about ready to
> purge the filed.)

A few comments:
 - the menu is ok. not optimal, but definitely a change for the better. i
think perhaps the better solution is to add it to the "connect to freeciv
server" dialog as a new, default tab.
 - if you press "new game" several times, you get several start new game
dialogs (wrong), and if you press ok in several of them, you get several
sets of buttons in the client (very wrong)
 - the client attempts to connect to server immediately, and gives error
message (confusing). you need to find the "start game" button to start
the game (bad design). IMHO it should loop and try discretely to
start the server until it succeeds or times out.
 - once you've managed to get in the game, i don't think the new buttons
should be where they are. i'd much rather have them as menu options
(perhaps a new menu "Game").
 - it crashes when i quit

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli