[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO]

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO] (PR#1215)
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 06:26:03 +0100

Den 2002-01-15 00:07:04 freeciv, %Y skrev Jason Short följande:

> Daniel Sjölie wrote:
>
> > On 2002-01-14 22:32:57, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> >> - the client attempts to connect to server immediately, and gives error
> >>message (confusing). you need to find the "start game" button to start
> >>the game (bad design). IMHO it should loop and try discretely to
> >>start the server until it succeeds or times out.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but connecting to a server and starting the
> game are not the same thing.  Normally you would (1) start a server (2)
> connect to it (3) set any options and (4) start the game.  The
> connection dialog aims at eliminating (1), (2), and part of (3), but not
> (4).
>
> If we did auto-start after connecting, the code would generally be of no
> use in other cases - that is, we couldn't use it to control multiplayer
> servers, since we would have no handling of the pre-start case.

Well, it might be a good idea to include a choice between multiplayer
and singleplayer somewhere (probably in (3)), start the server at once
if singleplayer is selected and display something like a dialog with
"Waiting for players" and a "Start game" button...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)