[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO] (PR#1215)
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:06:40 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:51:53PM -0800, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> The sixth version of the game starting patch is now available by
> ftp.

I testet Jason's version of conndlg6.diff with a 12 hours old
CVS.

If the civserver crashes on loading a game, the client
hangs non-blocking with 100% CPU.

The /show command is very CPU-intensive. Something's
wrong here.

When I save a game and choose a dir for it, it
doesn't remember the dir choosen on the next save.

Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libimlib-xpm.so
#0  0x08081509 in filesel_callback2 (data=???) at connectdlg.c:788
788       return(FALSE);
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08081509 in filesel_callback2 (data=???) at connectdlg.c:788
Cannot access memory at address 0x0
(gdb)

When civclient dumps core, it usually leaves a civserver behind.

I appreciate this patch, even if it's rather basic.
Some GUI issues, though, from a player's point of view:

In pregame, all menues are deactivated. Why can't I access the
server options dialogs?

The "medium" Level should be named "normal".

Is it possible to integrate this into the connect dialog?
Like adding a tab "New game" and "Join game"? That'd be the
natural place for it.

The "Start game" etc. buttons really shouldn't be there. Where
will we end when we plaster the whole window with buttons? 8-)
Why don't you put it in the "Game" menue? Every unexperienced
user will find it there IMO.

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *