[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO]

Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO] (PR#1215)
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:07:04 -0500

Daniel Sjölie wrote:

On 2002-01-14 22:32:57, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

- the client attempts to connect to server immediately, and gives error
message (confusing). you need to find the "start game" button to start
the game (bad design). IMHO it should loop and try discretely to
start the server until it succeeds or times out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but connecting to a server and starting the game are not the same thing. Normally you would (1) start a server (2) connect to it (3) set any options and (4) start the game. The connection dialog aims at eliminating (1), (2), and part of (3), but not (4).

If we did auto-start after connecting, the code would generally be of no use in other cases - that is, we couldn't use it to control multiplayer servers, since we would have no handling of the pre-start case.

jason