[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved game starting version 6 [patch] [ready, IMO] (PR#1215)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:29:28 +0100

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:55:01PM -0800, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Daniel L Speyer wrote:
>
> > The sixth version of the game starting patch is now available by
> > ftp.  This is mostly cleanup, because I've run out of features that need
> > including.  I've been playtesting it for a while, and it works nicely.  I
> > think it's ready for inclusion (please review it as such).
>
> Two minor problems:
>
> - When you launch a server "new game", the civclient at first fails to
> connect.  Naturally, this is because the server is just starting up.  I
> don't know if there's a good way around this.

Have the server send a 'ping' packet?

[...]

> - I notice you still send data over the pipes to civserver.  I still
> think this is bad.  For one thing, there is no feedback on your actions;
> for instance saving a game just silently succeeds/fails.
>
> If the data went entirely over the chatline instead, would it still be
> necessary to have pipes for the civserver's stdin, stdout, and stderr?
> It should just be a matter of making the server happy, right?  How do
> (daemon) servers run on civserver.freeciv.org handle this?

The civserver-forever wrapper script starts a civserver and communicates
with its stdin and stdout.  Regular clients can just send commands on
the chatlin, once the server is there and they are connected to it.
A /newserver can be created to start a new server and make the client
connect to it.  This command wouldn't make sense on the server command line.

--
Reinier