[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv2 kernel,modules and rulesets

To: <gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv2 kernel,modules and rulesets
From: Stepan Roh <stepan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 01:40:03 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Gregor Zeitlinger wrote:

> I'm also looking at the Java speed issue because this could be make it
> impossible to use, though I doubt it if Java is compiled to native code.

Java speed is not an issue. JIT compilers are doing well. Truly compiled
Java is in its early stage, at least in GCC suite, and I certainly won't
be using it for production code, but maybe someday....  The biggest Java
problem is that it takes a lot of memory. GC, threads, objects, everything
takes memory which is not under your control (contrary to C). RMI (if used
for networking - I discourage from that as it is strongly Java-tied)
consumes more bandwidth than plain sockets (possible in Java too). But
Java has better designed OO than C++ (which is a mess).

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh