[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv2 kernel,modules and rulesets

To: Stepan Roh <stepan@xxxxxxxx>, <gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv2 kernel,modules and rulesets
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:43:10 -0500

On Sunday 02 December 2001 07:40 pm, Stepan Roh wrote:
> Java speed is not an issue. JIT compilers are doing well. Truly compiled
> Java is in its early stage, at least in GCC suite, and I certainly won't
> be using it for production code, but maybe someday....  The biggest Java
> problem is that it takes a lot of memory. GC, threads, objects, everything
> takes memory which is not under your control (contrary to C). RMI (if used
> for networking - I discourage from that as it is strongly Java-tied)
> consumes more bandwidth than plain sockets (possible in Java too). But
> Java has better designed OO than C++ (which is a mess).

right... but c++ doesn't incur all that overhead for GC and threading (as
threads are implemented externally). also, java RMI is based on CORBA - it
uses IIOP for the protocol. if we use java RMI, we might as well be using
CORBA. anyway, RMI isn't sufficient for a protocol. for one thing, RMI and
CORBA don't really support server-to-client notifications - and this is a
requirement of freeciv.

as for the java/c++ issue, i think i could really care less. i'm much more
familiar with c++ - MUCH more familar, so it's my preference. but we'll see
what comes out in the wash.

as for the configuration language, we could write our own. it might not be a
bad consideration.

andy