[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:32:34 -0500

On Thursday 29 November 2001 12:27 pm, Justin Moore wrote:
> > I have made a patch. I was lazy and haven't added backward
> > compatibility. If this wasn't the case the patch would be
> > applied. Feel free to do add the backward compatibility.
>
>    I hate to say this, but at some point we really need to break backwards
> compatability with the older cruft.  If we get a development tree and can
> do one release with that, I think we should think long and hard about
> starting to make a clean break to a 2.0 release.  Just like apache made
> some serious serious changes to their architecture with 2.0, I think we
> should, too.  Any questions about the evils of backwards compatability?
> Just ask Intel. :)

who cares about backward compatability :) it's not that important. i'd be all
about a clean break for 2.0 architecture, although i'd really like to see a
much more structured development process and alot more discussion about
design than implementation (read previously posted rant).

i'd say if the maintainers aren't willing to commit to a development branch
then introduce a temporary code fork. hopefully the overhauled code will
eventually replace the older version.

andy