[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Documentation, Usability and Development
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:30:32 +0100

On 2001-11-29 17:49:12, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:35:36PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> > >
> > > I got the impression the last patch I have seen didn't got the coastal
> > > city case right.

> > > I have objections about the architecture of the last patch I have
> > > seen. Note that the "clear idea" of the person doesn't make the patch
> > > right in the larger picture.
> >
> > Have you specified them anywhere?  It's really time to add sound support.
>
> No. The mail archive is the memory. Out of my brain the solution has
> the answer these questions:
>  - does the server know about the sound (think about modpacks)
>  - where is the sound stored (server, client)
>  - how are the sound clips identified
>  - for what actions are sound available (events, attacks, unit facus
> change,...)
>  - how will events be identified at the client (currently only text is
> available)
>  - how are the events at the new turn display/played
>  - which format is the sound
>  - internal/external sound player

Honeslty, I think all of these are... non-issues...
I think having soundsets that work the same way tilesets does would be
great... A modpack would install a soundset just as it installs a
tileset and load that one to match the specific rulesets...
And that's the way the last sound patch I saw worked!
That answers the 3 first issues...

The nex three are issues that can be resolved after fundamental support
is added... I mean, start by adding sound just for moving unit, battles
or something like that in the simplest way and it's GOOD ENOUGH! Once
that's in adding more events and pondering if there is a better way to
detec them can be a lot more of a practical discussion and less of
hitting each other on the head with mails...

The last two issues are also nothing to fuss about in a development
version - if it works it's good... Sounds can be converted and a sound
playing function recoded...

And that's what I think... That patch actually worked...
Not perfectly but to a meaningful degree...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)