[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: AI cleanup Version 2

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: AI cleanup Version 2
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:44:16 +0100

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:15:41PM -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:06:09PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > > I looked at your patch.
> > >
> > > It's absolutely fine apart from the comment to unit_move_turns
> > > You say: "Things like railroad, roads will make the actual move cost
> > > lower than the given estimation. Mountains, swamps will increase actual
> > > move cost"
> >
> > The sum of the costs has lost some information. Consider this case:
> >
> > unit has a move rate of 3, cost of the path is 5, unit has 2 move point left
> >
> > path1 costs: first tile=3, second tile=2
> >   turn 0: points=2, unit has to wait
> >   turn 1: points=3, unit can move, points=0, has to wait
> >   turn 2: points=3, unit can move, points=1
> >
> > path2 costs: first tile=2, second tile=3
> >   turn 0: points=2, unit can move, points=0, has to wait
> >   turn 1: points=3, unit can move, points=0
> >

> Point taken. Here's the new patch with suggested improvements thrown in.
> Enjoy.

+   Returns the minimal amount of turns required to reach the given
+   destination position. The actual turn at which the unit will

+   reach the given point depends on the movement points it has remaining.

reach the given point depends on the movement points it has remaining
and the distribution of the total costs.

+   For example: Unit has a move rate of 3, path cost is 5, unit has 2
+   move points left
+   path1 costs: first tile = 3, second tile = 2

I want to point out that the goto agent has made this right. E.g. it
has simulated each turn and hasn't just added all the costs.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off."